Wednesday 2 April 2014

Future me

Future me is the worst person at sticking to a diet. I can leave group all fired up, really enthusiastic - but a few days later, after work, tired, hungry, annoyed (after having one of 'those' days at work), motivation seems a forgotten dream and it's all too easy to say "F*ck it. Order a pizza."

How do I stop future me sabotaging weight loss?

Well, future me is lazy. Let's make it easier to stay on the plan than it is to wander off the path.

I keep a couple of tins of Sainsbury's beef ravioli (f), and a few free mugshots in a draw at work. We have a microwave, but it can be eaten straight out of the tin cold in an emergency. This is my emergency rations - this means that it's easier to eat the tin than 'have' to go out and get a sandwich as I've 'forgotten' my lunch.
This means that it becomes a choice between eating the tin (on plan) OR going to waitrose, buying a pack of ham or cooked chicken, and a bag of mixed salad (on plan) - and it still comes to about the same cost as a sandwich.

Actually going off plan would mean going to the shops - buying a sandwich - coming back - and eating it. This is more effort than the tin, so I can't use the excuse I'm tired. And, if I can go to the shops, chicken and salad is the same effort and cost as a sandwich, so no excuse there. Future me cannot think of any reason to justify my behaviour, so it becomes easier to stay on plan.

Beware future me... my own worst enemy.... :)



No comments:

Post a Comment